We are the women leaders who have been elected to represent the residents of Somerville from various parts of the City and at various levels of government. And we are unanimous in supporting Congressman Mike Capuano as our new United States Senator.
We all know Mike in different ways and support him for different reasons. But we all agree that Mike will make the best Senator for Massachusetts and a worthy successor to Senator Kennedy.
In particular, we support him for:
- His unwavering support for the issues that impact women, working families and the unemployed as reflected in his 100% voting record (as measured by progressive labor groups) in Congress;
- The courageous positions he took opposing the Patriot Act and Iraq War long before many others did and his continued involvement in key foreign policy issues such as the Afghanistan war;
- His hard work and vigorous and successful advocacy for his constituents, from mass transit projects to economic and environmental justice issues;
- His steadfast support for public education;
- And, finally, we support Mike because he is accessible to every resident and will give careful thought to every issue. And, he will look you in the eye and be honest when he disagrees with you.
In summary, Mike has been a worthy successor to one Kennedy, and has a proven track record indicating he would be a worthy successor to another Kennedy. We need someone willing to fight for our values in Washington. Mike has proven he will do that.
We urge you to join us in supporting Mike Capuano for U.S. Senate.
Patricia Jehlen, State Senator
Denise Provost, State Representative
Rebekah Gewirtz, Somerville Board of Aldermen (Ward 6)
Maryann Heuston, Somerville Board of Aldermen (Ward 2)
Maureen Bastardi, Chair, Somerville School Committee (Ward 1)
Teresa Cardoso, Somerville School Committee (Ward 2)
Mary Jo Rossetti, Somerville School Committee (Ward 7)
Christine Rafal, Somerville School Committee-elect (Ward 4)