by eila in Accessibility, Civic Action, Civil and Human Rights, Development and Zoning, Government Reform, Neighborhoods and Squares, Pedestrians, Public Health & Safety, Traffic & Parking, Transportation Projects
Posted on September 17, 2009 at 1:23 pm
Last Modified on September 27, 2009 at 9:51 pm
Q: Why Didn’t the Rolling Somerville Pedestrian Cross the Road at the Crosswalk?
A: Because the City of Somerville Deciders have been playing chicken with standards.
This photo essay will show 30 lost opportunities to create a safer community on Mayor Curtatone’s watch. All of these streets or sidewalks were reconstructed between 2004- 2008. This is just a selection of 30 unsafe crosswalks- not a comprehensive listing of all the wasteful errors implemented during the 2004-2008 Somerville, MA street reconstructions.
from City of Somerville Traffic and Parking regulations, 2009:
Section 12-1 Pedestrian crossing ways or roadways
Pedestrians shall obey the directions of police officers directing traffic and whenever there is … a marked crosswalk within three hundred (300) feet of a pedestrian, no such pedestrian shall cross a way or roadway except within the limits of the marked crosswalk and as hereinafter provided in these regulations…
from State of MA Architectural Access Regulations, 2006:
521 CMR 21.1 GENERAL
Whenever sidewalks, walkways, or curbs on streets and ways are constructed, reconstructed, or repaired, curb cuts are required. All curb cuts shall comply with the following:
Curb cuts shall occur wherever an accessible route crosses a curb and at the following locations:
21.2.1 Curb cuts are required at each corner of each intersection, located within the crosswalk and/or the pedestrian path of travel. Curb cuts shall be perpendicular to the curb at street crossings andeach shall have a level landing at the top. At marked crossings, the bottom of the ramp run,exclusive of flared sides, shall be wholly contained with the marked crossing... The crosswalk/pedestrian path of travel must also be perpendicular to the curb.
IN EACH OF THESE CASES, below,
THE CITY OF SOMERVILLE RECONSTRUCTED EITHER THE ROAD
OR THE SIDEWALK
1. CUMMINGS SCHOOL PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALKS -on SCHOOL STREET and PRESCOTT STREET. Crosswalks lack curb cuts on both ends.
The Cummings School is still used as Somerville Polling Site for Ward 3, Precinct 2 and subject to 950 CMR 51.00 Polling Accessibility Regulations, in addition to 521 CMR, Architectural Access regulations.
Cummings School, School Street:
Cummings School, Prescott street:
2. BENTON at HIGHLAND PEDESTRIAN CROSSING- NO CURB CUTS within crosswalk
3. TRULL at HIGHLAND PEDESTRIAN CROSSING- no usable curb cuts within crosswalk either side
4. HIGHLAND at VINAL, across from SOMERVILLE HIGH SCHOOL- no curb cut @ Vinal to cross that HIGHLAND AVENUE CROSSWALK
5. NEWTON at WEBSTER AVENUE PEDESTRIAN CROSSING- no curbcuts either side. This is also a BUS STOP
6. CROSSWALK TO SOMERVILLE FIRE PREVENTION BUREAU- no curb cuts on either side, crossing Somerville Avenue at LINDEN
7. CROSS STREET at CHESTER CROSSING TO BUS STOP – no curb cuts
8. CROSS STREET at GILMAN skewed not safe not level, no reciprocal curb cut
9. CROSS at AUBURN no reciprocal curb cut
10. CROSS STREET at TUFTS- Crosswalk not within curb cuts, near CAPUANO SCHOOL
11. CAPUANO SCHOOL CROSSWALK curb cuts not within crosswalk @ Fountain Street- this is the route from Parking Lot to school
13. CROSS STREET at PEARL 14. GLEN STREET at PEARL- no cuts: curb cuts, skewed crosswalk:
15. OLIVER TO GLEN STREET, and 16. CROSSING GLEN STREET- Curb cuts not within crosswalks:
17. CENTRAL at MEDFORD INTERSECTION- SCHOOL WALK ROUTE AND BUS STOPS. all curb cuts whould be perpendicular to the street and within the crosswalks:
18. HIGHLAND at CENTRAL- same as above:
19. TRUM FIELD at FRANEY ROAD CROSSWALK Curb cut and sidewalk so steeply sloped that rolling pedestrians do not have a safe route to wherever an inclusive TRUM FIELD entrance might be located- if there is one. :
20. FISK STREET and HINCKLEY ST.:
21. MEDFORD STREET and PARTRIDGE: AT BUS STOPS:
24. CEDAR at WARWICK near BIKE TRAIL CROSSWALK LEADS TO NO CURBCUT:
25. ROGERS AT BROADWAY, NO SAFE CROSSING anywhere here:
26. NORTH STREET at BOSTON AVENUE- NO SAFE CROSSING AT THESE CROSSWALKS:
27. GLEN and BROADWAY no curb cuts in pedestrian crosswalk- ACROSS FROM EAST SOMERVILLE LIBRARY
28. CROSS STREET at ELLSWORTH- that’s the EDGARLY SCHOOL:
29. WALLACE STREET AT COLLEGE AVE. PEDESTRIAN CROSSING, no curb cuts:
30. SOMERVILLE WEST LIBRARY PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALK NOT PLACED WITHIN CURB CUTS!!!